Do you want to get better but are trapped in toxic thoughts? Do you feel alone and hopeless? Are you worried to open up because you might be subject to judgement and criticism? Recovery is often thought of as a path that is walked alone or with the help of perhaps one mentor or one practitioner. However, when done in combination with a group, recovery is not only fast-tracked but its success rate improved. Here are five ways group therapy can benefit you:
- Observing that you are not alone, not useless, not hopeless.
- A safe harbour from prejudice and uninformed judgement.
- Sharing of non-critical advice about your problems.
- A chance to unburden without the isolation felt elsewhere.
- Reduction in stress, anxiety and guilt feelings in recovery.
Group therapy also enables you get to know and mingle with peers outside of formal sessions. You are able to observe and be motivated by the commitment of peers. There are even further advantages such as:
- Benefitting from the combined wisdom of a group of peers.
- Getting more advice from different sources.
- Getting feedback on and correcting flawed ideas.
- Learning practical survival skills from peers.
- Restoring trust, bonding with fellow beings.
Group therapy enables you to learn and practice skills to cope with life’s stresses. You have the chance to get advice for handling awkward situations after treatment and the satisfaction of knowing others are being inspired by you. There are opportunities to form friendships and to feel a sense of belonging for the first time in a very long time. Those toxic, negative perceptions are challenged and cleared and the knowledge that you can overcome temporary loneliness becomes a reality. Most importantly, there is the restoration of discipline and energy giving you a new lease on life!
The benefits of group therapy listed above are applicable to recovery for any addiction or substance use disorder. For more information on group exercises, read the article here. If you would like to enquire about our Recovery Direct services, contact us here.