This is a standard test for individuals that think they may have a drinking related problem. Total test results with score ratings will be emailed to you on completion of the test.
There is no obligation to this simple process and individuals taking this test do so with the knowledge that this does not substitute an active consultation with a councillor or addiction specialist.
- Do you try to avoid family or close friends while you are drinking?
- Do you drink heavily when you are disappointed, under pressure or have had a quarrel with someone?
- Can you handle more alcohol now than when you first started to drink?
- Have you ever been unable to remember part of the previous evening, even though your friends say you didn’t pass out?
- When drinking with other people, do you try to have a few extra drinks when others won’t know about it?
- Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable if alcohol is not available?
- Are you more in a hurry to get your first drink of the day than you used to be?
- Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your drinking?
- Has a family member or close friend expressed concern or complained about your drinking?
- Have you been having more memory blackouts recently?
- Do you often want to continue drinking after your friends say they’ve had enough?
- Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink heavily?
- When you’re sober, do you sometimes regret things you did or said while drinking?
- Have you tried switching brands or drinks, or following different plans to control your drinking?
- Have you sometimes failed to keep promises you made to yourself about controlling or cutting down on your drinking?
- Have you ever had a DWI driving while intoxicated or DUI driving under the influence of alcohol violation, or any other legal problem related to your drinking?
- Are you having more financial, work, school, and/or family problems as a result of your drinking?
- Has your physician ever advised you to cut down on your drinking?
- Do you eat very little or irregularly during the periods when you are drinking?
- Do you sometimes have the shakes in the morning and find that it helps to have a little drink, tranquilizer or medication of some kind?
- Have you recently noticed that you can’t drink as much as you used to?
- Do you sometimes stay drunk for several days at a time?
- After periods of drinking do you sometimes see or hear things that aren’t there?
- Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your drinking?
- Do you ever feel depressed or anxious before, during or after periods of heavy drinking?
- Have any of your blood relatives ever had a problem with alcohol?
If you answered yes to two or more of the above questions in this test it would be advisable to speak to an alcohol support counsellor about how alcohol could be negatively influencing your life and come up with a strategy to not progress this disease.
Also see these articles.